Though small, Khokhna mosque is clearly a valued local institution for its community. After brightly repainting the building inside and out, the village managed to construct a new freestanding minaret in the 1990s. Benches line the enclosed verandah, which functions as a social space. The ornament in the prayer hall is fairly sparse and simple, with just a few of the common motifs typical of template-based applied carving: diamonds, flowers, and abstract swirls. Interestingly, these late nineteenth century designs also appear on the ceiling medallion—an unusual combination of a newer era’s decor on an older era architectural element. Two medallions framed by braided lances crown the minbar. Unpainted wooden panels carved with incised geometric patterns frame the mihrab; these are likely the mosque’s original entrance doors and may have been removed after damage. Although the hijri date 1318 (1899-1900) appears above the mihrab, some decorative elements consistent with older mosques (a ceiling medallion instead of a dome and the presence of older doors with incised geometric patterns) in addition to a reorganization of the mihrab wall, suggest that Khokhna mosque may have been built earlier (perhaps 1860-1880) and 1318 was the date of its last significant renovation before the Soviet period.
LOCATION: 41°34’26.7”N 41°53’20.6”E
CONSTRUCTION DATE: 1899-1900 (hijri 1318)
RENOVATION DATE(S): 1990s
ARCHITECT: Laz masters with locals Hassan and Resul Kajaia