Originally a small mosque typical of the late 19th century, Beghleti has recently acquired several additions to support its growing role as a regional educational center. Extensive carvings date the interior decoration to a 1926 renovation—five years after the Red Army’s arrival. Although Georgia forcibly became a Soviet republic in 1921, Upper Adjara’s Muslim communities continued worship and religious education until as late as 1929, when Soviet authorities were finally able to enforce their anti-religious policies.
DISTRICT : Khulo
LOCATION : 41°38'59.2"N 42°18'41.4"E
POPULATION : 578
CONSTRUCTION DATE : late 19th century
RENOVATION DATE(S) : 1926 (hijra 1344); 1990s
ARCHITECT : unknown Laz craftsmen
MINARET : Yes